Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I am sorry for the lack of posts and projects. The rut is multi-fold.

1) I wanted to sew a simple skirt quickly and chose a Cynthia Rowley pattern S2305, view C:

Looks simple enough. I cut out a size 12 because I have a square-ish body type, even though I usually do a size 10 for dresses. I am pretty straight up and down with nary a waist. The first mistake was that I did not measure the waistband against my waist. Bad bad bad idea. The second mistake was...I didn't know how to sew an invisible zipper and thought that the regular zipper foot would work. Nope! I ended up basting and hand sewing the zipper plus lace binding, which was pretty time consuming. I also didn't know how to finish up the gap between the bottom seams and the zipper, so I just sewed the bottom seams as close to the zipper as possible.

After I attached the waist band, I decided to put it on and try it out for size. This is when I realized that either I am way bigger than a size 12, or Cynthia Rowley's pattern is ridiculously small. I had to pull the skirt up to my ribcage, while sucking in my gut to zip up the skirt. The skirt is ruffled below the waist band, so it puffed up like a blow fish. I was horrified. I have always reveled in the fact that I never had to alter patterns on my past projects. And now, even though I increased a size in pattern, I still was too big for the skirt.

I measured my waist, and winced. I have gained at least 4 inches in 3 years. My job is sedentary and I do not exercise regularly. The skirt made me realize how much my body has changed since my mid-twenties. I am unable to get away with eating potato chips late at night anymore. Nor zero exercise. My metabolism has  slowed down to the point that I cannot lose weight by simply eating less junk food, or drink more water. Re-examining my health routine is tough, as was measuring my waist, but I am kind of glad I did it. Now it's the accepting and improving part that I need to work on. So, I guess in a way, I have to thank this petulant skirt project for bringing into light the reality that, no matter how content I am in life, there is always something that I have to struggle for. Until I figure out an exercise routine that works for me and start being more fit, I will try to sew up some harmless project around the apartment.

2. The second reason for my sewing rut, simply put, is because of my concentrated effort in looking for a new job. I had an interview with an international architecture firm last week (on Friday). I had been ridiculously nervous the entire week leading up to the interview. I prepped pretty diligently for it, reading through the Company website, thinking up of possible interview questions and writing down the answers, copying down the vision & values of the Company...all while visibly shaking with anxiety. The interview itself was less nerve-wrecking. I think I did ok? I am terrible at gauging such things. The Company will be notifying candidates for a second-round interview this week so fingers crossed.

That's the update for now. Oh, I just remembered, Sarai of Colette is coming out with a book! I am super excited because I have always liked their clear and detailed instructions. I pre-ordered the book today with a release date of mid-November. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment